Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Making Your Own Baby Food

I know, you’re probably thinking what’s wrong with buying baby food? I know that’s what I was thinking when a nurse gave me a handout on the subject during my discharge after having Bug. Why in the world would I make baby food when there’s so much to choose from at the store?

I continued this thinking until it was time for Bug to start eating baby food and I looked at the beautiful rainbow of colors that lined the baby food aisle…and then I looked at the nice little sticker on that baby food. I don’t think so.

I haven’t openly admitted that I’m an El Cheapo, but it’s probably easy to figure out. So here it is…I’m an El Cheapo, especially when I could make the same thing myself. So the research began on how to make baby food. And everything I read sounded surprisingly easy. So I tried it and it’s surprisingly easy.

I take the food of choice – peas were on the menu for today – and I make in bulk. I started with two bags of frozen peas in my steamer on the stove. I steamed the peas until they were tender and bright green. Aren’t they pretty?



I then blended until they were the right consistency. If I need extra liquid, I use the leftover water from steaming since it has all of those good vitamins. I then spoon or pour into ice cube trays and freeze. When they’re frozen solid, I dump them into a zip lock bag and store in the freezer. When I’m ready to use, I pull out a few cubes, place in a microwave safe bowl and defrost them.


This is how I make pretty much every kind of baby food. Here are some exceptions:
  • Meats – Cook in the crock pot until cooked through, puree with broth until correct consistency.
  • Squash - Roast in the oven until fork tender, puree with water until correct consistency.
Seems way to easy, right? It is. Give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. My kids' Godmother gave me a great suggestion when my Sweet Pumpkin was a baby. Use the store bought baby food to get ideas and find out what the little one likes - then make more at home. That way, if there is something baby refuses to eat, or does not set well, you don't have a ton in the freezer that won't get used. Also, if whatever you're making isn't thick enough - just add cereal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it sound sooo easy... almost easy enough for me to do some day!

    ReplyDelete