Friday, October 23, 2009

I’m Getting Sick – YUCK!

It’s creeping up on me slowly, but all of my attempts to ward it off are starting to be overtaken by this next cold that I feel I’m destined to get. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I ran out in the rain yesterday morning wearing only flip flops on my way to milk Daisy. Oops.

In true form of my self-reliant nature, I’m not a big fan of taking medicine. When I feel a cold creeping up on me I have several natural remedies that I try and try again before finally resorting to the medicine cabinet.

  • Here are a few of the natural remedies that I use prior and during:
  • Vitamin C tablets
  • Hot Tea with lemon and honey (The acid in the lemon clears your throat and the honey soothes it.)
  • Orange Juice with honey (I gave this to Bug the last time she got a sore throat/cough and it calmed her cough.)
  • Vick’s on my chest and under my nose. If the cold has really settled in my chest, I put the
  • Vick’s on my chest and then put a warm towel (I heat it in the microwave) over my chest and then drink the hot tea.
  • Vick’s on the bottoms of my feet and then socks (This is for a cough. I have no idea why this works, but it does.
  • Homemade chicken noodle soup
I’m not sure why some of these work, but they seem to help so I’ll keep using them. If you know why they work, I’d love to know.

What natural remedies do you have when you’re sick?

1 comment:

  1. Everyone in my house has had a cold (Hubby is the worst) except me and Little Duck. We held out for a long time, but no more it seems. Yesterday the sinus drainage started and my throat was sore and Little Duck was stuffy in the night and has a little drippy nose this morning. It's always my sinuses. I started right away with the extra vitamin C, Oregamax, and Echinacea twice a day. I also started employing my twice daily sinus rinse. This morning, the sore throat is gone. The drainage is still there, but not nearly as bad. Yay!

    ReplyDelete