Thursday, October 15, 2009

Homemade Christmas – 10 Week Challenge

Can you believe it? Only 10 weeks (70 days) until Christmas. I knew it was coming, but I hadn’t given it much thought until a couple of days ago when I was reading my friend Christina’s blog where she brings up the subject of Christmas shopping.

Unlike Christina, I have already started shopping. My yearly goal is to be finished with shopping by Thanksgiving and be able to spend the month of December baking and just enjoying the time of year. Besides, it never fails, I forget something or someone else forgets something and this way I’ve built in a huge window of error.


Since I was a little kid, some of my Christmas gifts have been homemade. I know some people feel that this is cheap, but I believe that time is the most precious gift you can give someone. And making something for someone takes time.

My challenge to you this Christmas season: Give one more homemade gift this year than you did last year. If you bought every single gift last year, you have it easy – one. Just one gift should be homemade or at the very least, buy something that someone else made.


During my 10 week challenge I will be posting frequently on the topic and be giving you step-by-step project instructions, recipes, practical ideas and timelines to keep your homemade Christmas gifts on target for the big guy’s arrival.


Your first step is to create a list of your gift recipients. Be detailed. What do they like/dislike? What advantage do you have over this person? Are you a stay at home Mom with plenty of time on your hands, but your oldest sister is a mover and shaker corporate type with not a moment to spare? Your advantage over her is your time. Is your Mom a far superior cook than you, but can’t bake if her life depended on it? Write it down.

"The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness rather than in its value."
- Charles Dudley Warner

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read all about the gifts! Maybe... just maybe I'll try some myself. I'm toying with the idea of learning to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this concept. Homemade gifts can be very meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina -
    I would love to learn to knit. Maybe I can add that to my list of projects and then I teach you :)

    ReplyDelete