Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Homemade Christmas – Project: Cookie Sheet Advent Calendar

Remember these?



They can turn into these...



Yep…those old, ugly, beat up cookie sheets and tv trays can turn into these absolutely adorable reusable advent calendars. These are perfect for an early Christmas present to be mailed or given at Thanksgiving.

1. Start with old or new cookie sheet or tv tray. I found mine at a resale shop for $0.25 each. I was thrilled!!!

2. Drill two holes at the top of the sheet to hang later.

3. Paint your cookie sheet (wash and sand first if you have a used one) with spray paint that will work on metal.

4. Use coordinating scrapbook papers, construction paper or wrapping paper to decorate the cookie sheet.

5. Add a title of your choice using stickers or cut out your own letters.

6. Go crazy with embellishments. This is the fun part. On the blue and burgundy advent calendars, I made tiny envelopes. These are going to the grandparents and will be filled with tiny black and white pictures of Bug and Doodle for them to remove each day. I’ll collect the pictures on Christmas Day and use them to create a border for a color picture of the girls together…(Grandmas – if you’re reading this, please act surprised.)

On the red advent calendar I made origami boxes. These are the perfect size to hold a couple of Hershey’s kisses or a few M&Ms. I’ll post the instructions for making the origami boxes tomorrow. They’re very easy.

And yet another idea is to decorate small bead storage containers or tins like I’ve done here. Still have to add more detail to this one.



7. Add numbers and more embellishments.

8. Attach magnets. You can use hot glue for round ones or you can use magnetic tape that has a removable sticky back.

9. Tie with ribbon for hanging and you’re finished…I’ve been so busy decorating these sheets that I almost forgot this step – Oops!

The possibilities for this advent calendar are endless and they’re so darn cute you’ll need to get busy right away so that you have time to make one for yourself and for someone else.

Homemade Christmas Challenge Update…I mentioned when I started this challenge that I would be sharing ideas on where to buy homemade Christmas gifts. Please contact me at selfreliant101student@gmail.com if you’re interested in placing an order for your very own advent calendar.

2 comments: