Thursday, January 7, 2010

Green Onions Grown in Water

I got this tip from watching Food Network's "Next Food Network Star" several months ago. The winner, Melissa D'Arabian, gave this tip in one of the episodes. She said that you can keep green onions alive in water and the green part will continue to grow. The tip caught my attention immediately, but I don't use green onions frequently, so I pushed it to the back of my mind.

This weekend it surfaced when I had to make a special trip to a grocery store that I rarely visit just for green onions. They were sold in bunches of 6 or 7 and I only needed a few, so I decided to give Melissa's tip a try.

I added them to a cute little bud vase on my counter on day one. They were perky and cute. All was well. On day 2, Mr. said, "Your onions are turning yellow and drooping." I had nothing to lose and decided to keep going.



Today is day 6. Look at the new growth emerging. It works!!! Maybe I'll use green onions more often if I don't have to make a special trip to the store to get them. And now that they're green, it feels kind of like Spring in my kitchen despite the frigid temperatures and piles of snow.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, I will use it too !!! I missed that show, but my fave on Food Network is Diner's Drive-ins and Dives !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,
    I'm so glad you liked it. I made loaded baked potato soup two nights ago and used my kitchen sheers to clip off all of the new growth into my soup. It was wonderful. And guess what...they're regrowing. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete