Tuesday, September 6, 2011

1st Day of School – Stay in Town or Go Home?

Today is Bug’s 1st day of pre-school – sniff, sniff. We both did better than I thought we would. Tears welled up in the back of my eyes, but she was solid. Doodle, on the other hand, was a little upset. Upset may be the wrong word – lonely. Her friend, big sister and playmate was not by her side and she was very worried we would forget to pick her up.

Pre-school is three mornings a week from 9:00 – 11:30…in town and we live in the country. I’ve been planning stressing about what I was going to do. I couldn’t justify driving home and there are only so many errands a person can run, especially since we’ve lived in the country for seven years and we’re used to only coming to town a couple times a week. So what to do in the meantime?

Today, I ran my one errand and it was 9:24. Hmmm? We drove to a local restaurant armed with crayons and a coloring book for Doodle and my infamous to do list. But I can’t just park at a booth without buying something, so the to the very nice and understanding waitress, “I’ll have coffee, she’ll have apple juice and we’d like to have a cinnamon roll to share.” Cinnamon roll is good. The bill came…$6.92 and with a tip, let’s just figure $10.

Time is at a standstill. This is not working. So I ponder…

Gas is currently $3.75/gallon. From our front door to pre-school is roughly 30 miles round trip. Car gets approximately 20 MPG. That comes to $5.63 roundtrip.

If I leave school at 9:05, I can be home between 9:20 and 9:25. I would need to leave home to go pick her up by 11:10. This would give me a little over an hour and a half at home to get things done. I can’t believe it but it would be $4.37 cheaper for me to drive home instead of sitting at a restaurant thinking about my lengthy to do list.

As silly and impractical that I once thought it was to come home, it’s all in the math. Now, it’s 10:35 and she doesn’t get finished until 11:30. The cinnamon roll is gone, this post is finished and we wait…

Scoot over Doodle, let’s color…tomorrow we’re going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment