Saturday, February 6, 2010

Egg Shell Seedling Starters

Have you checked the 2010 Egg Counter lately? I'm amazed at the number of eggs that 11 hens have produced thus far...239 in the month of January. Wow!!!

So what does a person do with all of those eggs? We didn't sell many this past month because everyone thinks (as we did) that hens don't lay very well in the winter. We've eaten many baked custards, we've eaten breakfast for dinner many times and we've given many away.

It really bothers me that we just throw away the shells. Well we don't throw them away, we compost them, but surely there's something else that can be done with at least some of them.

Here's what I came up with.


It's my little (hopeful) herb garden. I have basil, chives, lemon balm and sage planted. That little "holder" is a tea light candle holder.

So far the only thing to sprout is the basil and the lemon balm. The only thing still living is the lemon balm. I don't know what happened to the basil, but my little sprouts died.

I think it's been long enough, so I'll have to replant. Maybe the seeds are bad??

1 comment:

  1. I remember growing grass seeds in egg shells when I was a little girl, this takes me back !! What a very provident way to live !!!

    ReplyDelete